Sunday, November 6, 2011

The only thing guaranteed in life is death...

At what point in life do we start living, truly, for ourselves? I think that I have tried to accomplish this for most of my life but in my subconscious, I always have the voices of others and expectations, to not let anyone in a close proximity to me down. So I find that I am seduced by society when making my decisions, which tend to, always, in the end harm my free spirit leaving me in a whirlwind of uncertainty and a feeling of discontent with life. One will probably find themselves questioning their goals, motives, and intentions, when everyone and everything around you tells what you are doing is wrong, irresponsible and just crazy. I am almost 30 years of age and I should be working, have a career and know my path in life. Most likely, I should be married and if I am to fit the copy and mold of almost everyone else my age, I should have 2 kids tomorrow, at once, just to catch up.  I should be living on my own and stable. However, I sit and study my surroundings, the population that defines the laws that we the people of this society make up. I listen to words spoken by this majority, and I see actions taken. I acknowledge feelings felt, I hear words unspoken and visualize actions untaken. What I see is not happiness, its not a state of mind where there is peace and satisfaction in life. I see discontent, I see frustration and I wonder what got people to this point? What brought society to this point? Was it the fact that they too, listened to the surrounding voices and never truly followed their dreams and the passions drove them in life? Is it the fact that they committed to a relationship that they thought was right at some point and are not trapped in? Did they even want the kids, which they now have? Do they have regrets in life for NOT doing what they wanted to do? I see this discontent and then I understand why my life and decisions to so many are deemed as unrealistic. Because we, society, have lost all of our creative motivates in life, we are not visionaries, we are not risk takers, we are copy and pasted from one to the next, conformities to the system, to the governed system.  People have lost their dreams. People have lost their passion, their lust for life.  This is why when I bring up my ideas and thoughts; I am shot down like a plane towards New York. I can easily find in people traits and characteristics that I do not want to posses, to witness situations I never want to be in; however, it is a challenge for me to find people that inspire me. So coming to this realization, I question why it is I allow myself to be persuaded by the opinions of the walking dead, whom I have no desire to ever be like. Most people in life who have been successful surely have had a large following on nay sayers, rainers of their parades and little black clouds. But what I think sets these people apart from the majority is they overcame the doubts and continued despite the doubts and judgments of so many. As I sit in my office and glance at the pictures of my travels, of the things that move me in life and inspire me, I just think that this is what I have allowed myself to become because I have listened to the majority, I have become the majority! Though people may not agree with my fickleness and the question of uncertainty which always looms in my presence. It is those things that makes me who I am, the willingness to get up and go, the desire to explore and see new things, the passion to learn and experience life, it is what makes me, me! Though you may disagree with how I do it, may not think it’s the best for my future and highly advise against my decisions, that is your opinion for you to have and it is my decision for me to make. I have never had a single regret of anything I have done, but only regrets of things I haven’t. I have never gotten in to anything I have not been able to get out of and every time I fall I tend to land on my feet or find my way back in a matter of time. This is my time, this is my life, my opportunity to learn, make mistakes and to define my own path, I am the Christopher Columbus of the 21st century (minus the murdering and raping of women and children, he was a really horrible person), my ship is long over due to set sail. I feel confident in my decision to stop living for everyone else and to truly live for myself and what makes me happy. Follow my dreams and my passions, to live my life the best way I see fit and exclude myself from societies opinions and views. I have never felt so confident in my decisions and felt a sense of readiness. I really encourage everyone to find what moves you in your life and go, take it and run, and never stop. Step out of your comfort zone, safety and comfort are things that you should look for in your future, but happiness is. Live for the moment, for today because nothing past now is guaranteed! You only live once.